Visual editing (WYSIWYG)

When creating links, there should be an option to treat the link as an image. This would also appear when using the keyboard shortcut (which currently doesnā€™t exist, unfortunately) to create links.

I imagine we could have a dedicated option for inserting images?

That could work. I forgot that some services allow you to upload images via a link, which is what I was trying to do.

yeaā€¦

this is still the main & only thing i care about

this is the single reason why i donā€™t and havenā€™t use dynalist at all

besides my very short list (sidebar)

that i should be looking atā€¦

itā€™s up here, thereā€™s jsut too many windowsā€¦

i went back to using dropbox paper if i needed to structure a larger ā€˜noteā€™

i ā€˜dumpedā€™ anything i had in paper into onenote

i use g-doc if i need an ā€˜outlineā€™ on the sidebar,

this is for ā€˜much largerā€™ notes, havenā€™t done that really

itā€™s a waste of words in a universe of insane excess

use onenote for ā€˜anything elseā€™ as it relates to ā€˜notesā€™ - but there hasnā€™t been anything else really

use g-sheets for the ā€˜kindā€™ of notes i take, better structure

sometimes,

• using the entire screen is critical

• no ctrl k

• canā€™t edit link easiely cos of the shitty markdown that ā€˜adds extra linesā€™ when you try to edit, hate it

• hate it so much

like itā€™s a simple thing

• it shouldnā€™t be any more difficult than super simple

itā€™s such a simple thing

itā€™s a basic & fundamental thing when it comes to good UX

very very piss, i donā€™t wanna talk about it

WYISWYG Hyperlinking

I would really like to see this too, for the WYISWYG editor.

No way of easily hiding a hyperlink is a massive pain point for me when I have to link really long URLs, and when I use the markdown syntax link name can get really excessive when modifying items

Ideally, if the WYISWYG editor can literally just you the option to enter a hyperlink.
On export of the OPML, it would have the actual hyperlink there, in the event you needed it for backup (do a rich keyword search to find it)

CTRL+K would be a nice shortcut to have, when I want to add a hyperlink to a word or set of words
which I do quite frequently, but I just use markdown syntax [] () and that takes reallly long

WYISWYG inline or not-in-line image adding

After an image is added afterwards, right click on image to select whether you want to change to in-line or not-inline

WYISWYG Embedding youtube videos

I would really like this feature but its probably outside the scope of things. Using youtubes embed codes into a WYISWYG editor, see example on my app.classeur.io

In practice, adding a video would be similar to mediums blog

It goes back to inlining images and not-inlining images, but Inlining a video instead

but it would have to use embed codes because of youtubes DO NOT TRACK policy on some content creators

Or mediumā€™s embed code would be cool too

Sometimes Iā€™ll take notes of youtube video tutorials or just interesting complicated youtube videos (CGP Grey, Kurzgesagt ā€“ In a Nutshell, SmarterEveryDay) and this would be super nice to have

WYISWYG Export

g

I second this as well, the export function needs to be as portable into any system as possible

WYISWYG Embedded code

I would really love this feature, it would solve so many limitations with dynalist.io

I could embed github gists natively, meaning I donā€™t need any support from dynalist to support code embedding at all

I could embed codepen.io statements, for more HTML CSS JS snippets

I could embed youtube videos and specifiy how large the frame widths and heights are

I could embed soundcloud notes, podcasts, etc

I could embed google forms, to do data entry aggregation on my home page (e.g. normally I put a shortcut form on my phone [track weight loss], but if I could do it straight from dynalist that would be really awesome)

I could run limited RSS embeds too

I could embed interesting LinkedIn SlideShares / PowerPoints / Prezis if I really wanted too

I could embed a simple google spreadsheet, and possibly enter in commonly entered data, like budget tracking, personal financing, etc

All of this would massively eat up my RAM, but the fact that embed codes could enable me to do anything with dynalist would be dandy.

embedded codes would behave on an independent bulletpoint, and you can hide your embeds by hiding your bulletpoints as you normally would

Even better, this make my android ā†’ dynalist view mode into a full presentation device if I wanted too, since this would make dynalist.io as feature-rich as a wordpress site

1 Like

Did you update with ericaā€™s suggestion, also does this behave the same on windows PCs / chrome?

I would like to use this script, but was wondering if you had a more recent version of it

thanks

2 Likes

I think that for mobile, the formatting bar shouldnā€™t be floating, but fixed, as it is on Dropbox Paper.

2 Likes

I agree - I find it really distracting

1 Like

The iOS floating toolbar is a workaround because Safari is special like a snowflakeā€¦ on Android it has always been fixed.

As for desktop, fixed and floating formatting bars both have pros and cons. Itā€™s hard to decide right now.

1 Like

At least you guys are trying your best with what you have, so thatā€™s fine. You donā€™t really have a choice on Safari, or perhaps other browsers, since they all have to use the same engine on iOS.

I think a floating one is fine, as I donā€™t have to constantly move back and forth. It should be rigid in the sense that it appears as long as text is selected. Sometimes if you move the mouse away from the body (upon selecting text), itā€™ll disappear.

1 Like

In the app we have some more control as we can listen for some native events. All that is simply impossible on mobile Safari.

1 Like

[quote=ā€œErica, post:63, topic:34ā€]
The iOS floating toolbar is a workaround because Safari is special like a snowflakeā€¦ on Android it has always been fixed. [/quote]

Coming from an Apple fanboy perspective :wink:, Safari is a bit of workā€¦but thatā€™s true of the whole OS and platform. These are some reasons to think about the process of thinking about hiring an iOS guy/girl for the team. You know your business - but hopefully iOS/Mac OS users make up a good paying percentage of the total user population.

I know I have no plans to move to Android and might consider Windows 10 (Mobile) if Microsoft could ever get their act together.

I donā€™t think thatā€™s too hard, itā€™s just a matter of having the money to compete with larger companies. As a bootstrapped startup that isnā€™t making enough money to pay for the full-time work that Shida and Erica put in, it has a ways to go before they invest time in developing native apps for iOS or hire an engineer.

I agree with you here. The ROI would be pretty good.

Since what Erica said directly above is that itā€™s impossible on Safari, but not on the native app, I guess thatā€™s a good compromise for now (once most of the bugs are fixed).

1 Like

Yes, I love both Ulysses and iA Writing regarding their typographic decisions. I am really annoyed by ā€œchanging mode.ā€ It gives me a pause and I find it distracting. (The very same reason I donā€™t like writing descriptions in Trello) I read through the comments, and understand Erica doesnā€™t like the idea of **bold text** because it looks like <div>text</div>, but like the Latex formatting and all these advanced features Dynalist offer, you need to focus on the makers, what makers really want. (writers, programmers, designers, all who make things professionally)

I am okay with WYSIWYG style, but I just think switching mode makes users unproductive.

1 Like

Iā€™m a big Markdown fan, but regarding Dynalist I have a couple of factors to bear in mindā€¦

1. Speed of use should be a key driver in Dynalist. My thinking is that as you get experienced using a tool you probably start using keyboards shortcuts, which really speeds things up. Anything that makes you have to reach for your mouse and start clicking away is going to slow you down.
  2. Although Iā€™m a Markdown fan, Iā€™m probably in a minority.
  3. If you want to format an item and/or note then likely itā€™s longer and Iā€™d be happy to use my favourite markdown editor and cut and paste the formatted result.

Iā€™ve tried Typora, but I donā€™t think it fells under the traditional WYSIWYG category. When you press Ctrl+B, it basically just inserts asterisks for you, rather than applying the format directly. With a WYSIWIG editor like Google Docs, youā€™ll almost never seen the ā€œcodeā€ thatā€™s responsible for the formatting. You just see it.

I believe @Matt_Groth was talking about a way to switch between WYSIWYG mode and Markdown mode, which is kind of different from what Typora does.

Hi Erica, Just saw this reply.
I was actually referring to the way they treat mathematical equations - the small popup/preview with live update of the MathJax (or Katex) rendering.

WYSIWYG pls

Iā€™m curious, is there any timeline for this feature now? Maybe releasing public due-dates for features is a bit much for you guys, but is it being worked on or are other things higher-priority right now?

We donā€™t have a public due-date for this, and itā€™s not being worked on at the moment, unfortunately. Our time is spent on improving mobile and capturing right now. Stay tuned for this in the future! :slight_smile: