URL scheme for IOS app

happy to have the new app :slight_smile:

I use apps like Workflow and Launcher that require a URL scheme to interact with apps. This could for example allow me to create a button in launcher to any item in my Dynalist document and open it in the app.

This is a “Developers” request because it probably won’t affect the average user but would allow better integration between the Dynalist app and other apps.

For basic launching, you can make the url scheme very simple for users to create. For example, this is a legal url scheme:

Just a matter of pasting the url onto dynalist://, no parsing or encoding req’d.

@Matt_Groth, thanks for creating this topic! Do I mind if I move it to “Features”, as this is useful to all iOS app users, and not just devs?

@Erica, while you are definitely correct that this would be useful for all users, I think it might also be good to have a topic about it here so developers can weigh in with our ideas for how the url scheme syntax could be mos tuseful. :slight_smile:

I think @rawbytz has a great point that basic launching would be a simple endeavor .But perhaps it can be even simpler by removing redundant name space stuff?

Vehemently disagree. :smile: The method I propose uses two URL schemes:

With two schemes, you don’t need to snip and encode… you just pre-pend the original URL with dynalist://

… becomes
It may be uglier, but it is way simpler, and faster to create.

With a single url scheme, first you must snip the Dynalist path and hash:

Then encode it to this:

Then prepend with the scheme, command and parameter

True, but is there any reason we can’t make both work?

… I was going to mention that, but felt my post was long enough already :wink:

And for other stuff, like creating new bullets commands and parameters and encoding will be required.

Ah, didn’t know that’s where you were coming from. I totally understand now!