Unreliable Google Calendar Sync

fixed

#1

Steps to reproduce

Starting from scratch, what are the steps to make the bug happen? The fewer the steps, the better.
Create a date entry, than edit it

Expected result

What do you expect to see after carrying out the steps above?
Calendar syncs to the new date

Actual result

Instead of the expected result, what happened?
All entries from document disappear from calendar

Environment

Which operating system are you using? Which browser are you using? If you’re using a desktop or mobile app, what’s the version number of Dynalist?
Multiple (iOS, Desktop App, Web app, MacBook Pro, iPhone)


Additional information

Anything else you think would help our investigation, like a screenshot or a log file? You can drag and drop screenshots to this box. For large amount of text, try putting them into something like Pastebin.


Additional comments


#2

Calendar Sync settings don’t sync from one device to the next. Setting a date on one document and subsequently opening the same document on a different device without manually setting the sync option will erase the entries because the 2nd device is not set to sync. Is that the problem?


#3

Same issue here.


#4

@Shida could you look at look at this case? Sounds plausible.


#5

That sounds like it could be what is happening… Although I haven’t tested it extensively, it is hard to remember which device I made the changes on. Also, I should mention that it is a shared document.


#6

I was able to not repro exactly but to repro something very similar.

Both Google Calendar sync is enabled for a document is saved in the same manners as how if a document should display in article view is saved.

I tried the following:

  1. Open Dynalist mobile app;
  2. Make a document show in article view on the web app;
  3. In the mobile app, open the same document;
  4. Refresh the web app, and observed that the document is no longer displayed in article view.

We’re pretty sure this is the issue that causes some Google Calendar events to disappear.

Fortunately no data is lost. For any document, disabling and enabling Google Calendar will force all the dates to be synced to Google Calendar again.

We’re working on a fix which will be out by end of next week. Thanks a million @Keith_Crone for helping us identify this bug! I’m really curious about how you figured it out, lol.


#7

Now, when sync is turned on for one document on one device but not the other, the calendar sync is eventually turned off for both devices and the calendar entry still disappears.


#8

Yeah, the fix needs to be on all devices to be effective. Right now it’s only on the web app.


#9

Thanks @Erica. I noticed there was an update to the desktop app today and now Calendar Sync seems to turn on and off across devices at the same time. I only checked quickly, but everything seems to update pretty well now.


#10

Thanks, great news!

We’re going to roll out this change to iOS & Android really soon too. That way it will be fixed on all platforms.


#11

Thanks for fixing this so quickly! And thanks to Keith for figuring it out!