Table functionality

With the embedded images in the list the only thing remaining to make me completely happy is to add a way of building Tables within a Dynalist Item.

My workaround for now is to go with JSON kind of approach (not very readable) or create tables in Excel and paste images (not editable).

24 Likes

tables ! tables ! tables!

2 Likes

Table editing is not easy to implement, unfortunately.

For the impatient, try out PowerPack where you can embed an iframe in Dynalist (could be any website, Google Sheets included).

The only downside is that it only works in the browser, and that it might make the page a bit bloated if you load a Google Sheet for each table.

Hey @Erica, what about the possibility of adding markdown tables? Wherein the user would input
`

content content
value
value

`
for example, which would render as a table.

1 Like

I am not sure if it’s supported but you can do this in notes, can’t you? It’ll be in disarray on mobile devices though.

1 Like

That’s possibility, but the work required much more than what we initially thought. If we’re using a Markdown parsing library, it would be very easy.

But because Dynalist has things like internal links and dates, we use our own custom markdown parsing algorithm. And table is not a trivial one like bold or italics.

We’ll still consider it, just saying that given the fixed amount of benefit, because of the heavier workload, it might be pushed back as priority.

2 Likes

Only if he uses a fixed-width font though, i.e. “Consolas”.

At least there is a way for people with immediate needs.

1 Like

As always thanks for your help on this Erica, much appreciated! I will hope it becomes popular enough to add to the roadmap soon, if only just to get me off Google Sheets altogether :slight_smile:

1 Like

Google Sheets should still have its uses (e.g. for math and sorting), but I agree to simple tables it should be enough :slight_smile:

1 Like

I don’t know whether to feel bad for reviving an old thread … but I feel strongly about this enough to do so more or less shamelessly.

Here’s my current solution (lo-fi)

Generate my content here: https://www.tablesgenerator.com/markdown_tables#
Paste my table in as code (in a note)

6 Likes

I like your workaround. I would love tables in notes as well.

1 Like

Or use a monospace font setting if the look doesn’t bother you :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thank you for the workaround JohnLi.
Just want to say again that a tables feature would be amazing!!! :wink:
To be able to get more information in a given area and to structure things horizontally, would be a powerful addition (needed this feature a lot of times so far)
Hope to see it soon! And thanks to the Dynalistteam for the great application!

1 Like

no monospace font for chinese :sob:

1 Like

probably not an ideal solution for many, but tables can actually be done with latex. E.g. the following:

$$\begin{array}{|c|c|}\hline 1 & \text{hello} \\hline 3 & 5 \\hline\end{array}$$

produces

4 Likes

Here’s some more info on using Katex arrays that I posted in July:

simple-tables-using-katex-arrays

1 Like

I can’t stress enough that we need this. As long term Dynalist user I really looking forward to use this feature one day, but to be honest at the moment it does not seem to happen soon…

2 Likes

need tables badly…

3 Likes

This is a nice workaround, but it doesn’t allow for tags within table data, which is why we need markdown tables. I’d be perfectly satisfied if the functionality was limited to notes only because that’s where I’d use it anyway, but really I think this is a necessity.

4 Likes