Support for multiple columns

I know Dynalist is primarily an outliner app. But it would be very productive and helpful (at least for me) to have multiple columns.

Letā€™s say I made a list in Dynalist. I can open certain ā€˜parentā€™ or ā€˜childrenā€™ on a separate column so I can view multiple sections at a time. Much like what a Kanban board can do. The only difference is that itā€™s structured as an outliner (which I prefer) rather than ā€œcardsā€ typically used in kanban apps.

14 Likes

I often want to see multiple views of a document too. My workaround is to have multiple browser windows open to different parts of the same Dynalist outline. They sync quickly so it works pretty well.

I was just going to add this! I use a large monitor, which is common today. Iā€™d like to be able to use the full screen. So at least 2 columns or windows would be needed, like new windows or even dual page displays in MS Word.

Multiple browser windows works if youā€™re desperate. But Iā€™d much rather have it native to the Dynalist desktop app.

2 Likes

Thatā€™s a good workaraound! I use Vivaldi browser so tiling of tabs will be very useful for that since I donā€™t need to open multiple windows. Still, I would prefer something native on Dynalist.

Very much agreed. Having 2 or more columns would be very helpful especially when comparing multiple lists or multiple sections of a list.

1 Like

Thereā€™s a Chrome extension that lets you open two outlines or view two parts of an outline side-by-side. Dynalist Allstar itā€™s called.

1 Like

Thatā€™s pretty handy. But of course many would still prefer a native implementation especially when using the desktop app. And for me, I really donā€™t want to add extensions on my browser than what I already have for permance reasons.

1 Like

I just open Dynalist twice. Which is fine except for sync delays.

1 Like

That extension was working for me in the past, but after not using for a while, and trying again today, the side-by-side view no longer seems to work. I get the second pane, but itā€™s empty.

More info in this thread: Dynalist Allstar (Chrome Extension) - call to developer

See also:

Also there seems to be an extension called ā€œPower Packā€ for Dynalist which has at least 3 versions now?

My current workaround is the Vivaldi browser which lets you open multiple tabs as columns in a single pane - some kind user here suggested it at some point - Allstar was always a little frustrating as you couldnā€™t search on the second pane etc

I usually have this and the windows app open for 3 dynalist instances and regularly cut and paste between them - plus the windows app can be squeezed REALLY small to the side while still being functional which is nice for note taking sometimes