Suggestion: help page for users migrating form Workflowy

I’ve been using Workflowy for some time now, and finally decided to start making the transition to Dynalist. The main friction point, at the moment, are the differences in keyboard shortcuts. It’s not the end of the world, but sufficient to make the usage of Dynalist less than fluid.

One thing that would be helpful is a preset that mimics Workflowy’s defaults, as suggested here; but even just expanding this help page with a summary of the differences in terms of keyboard shortcuts would already be quite helpful. Is this something that could be considered?

On that note, and recognizing that keeping the documentation up-to-date is hard, may I suggest experimenting with a wiki where users could collaborate in adding this sort of documentation? It would be a win-win situation IMO. Using a semi-restricted editing setup, and starting with the accounts of the trusted users here in the Discourse forum, I think it would not be hard to ensure it grows in a scalable manner and frees up some developer time :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Yeah, such an article would definitely be helpful. We can also link to it after successfully importing WorkFlowy, since the users who reach that stage all have used WorkFlowy.

The public wiki idea is interesting. Do you think it’s a lot to ask to have GitHub account or something like that in order to edit the wiki? That would be the easiest way I can think of to set things up. Also we still want to keep a simpler official wiki/help center, since I imagine the guides compiled by power users can be too complicated for beginners.

By the way, should I move this topic to “General” or “Feature request”? Looks like it doesn’t belong under “Help”.

1 Like

Thanks for the prompt reply!

We can also link to it after successfully importing WorkFlowy, since the users who reach that stage all have used WorkFlowy.

Yeah, that makes perfect sense to me.

The public wiki idea is interesting. Do you think it’s a lot to ask to have GitHub account or something like that in order to edit the wiki?

It sounds like a reasonable requirement to me. But you’ll surely know the community makeup/background better than I do. Perhaps you could make a poll here in Discourse to see what people would prefer?

Also we still want to keep a simpler official wiki/help center, since I imagine the guides compiled by power users can be too complicated for beginners.

Not necessarily. I’m sure a good summary of the intended purpose and audience of each section of the help docs can provide sufficient guidelines for contributors. Also, if you make the docs an actual repo, rather than a repo’s wiki, edits would then happen via PRs rather than directly and without a review step as is the case with wikis. That way you could import all the existing help content, and benefit from improvement proposals by the community, while retaining editorial oversight.

Another benefit of using a full repo is that the content can be published easily via Github Pages (e.g. markdown content rendered automatically to html with their Jekyll integration). Something to consider :wink:

By the way, should I move this topic to “General” or “Feature request”? Looks like it doesn’t belong under “Help”.

Oh sure – by all means, do as you think makes more sense :slight_smile: I have just registered here on the forum, so I haven’t yet got a feel for what each category covers. Also, IIRC Discourse topics can be split; if you feel the second part of my post does not fit the Help category but the first part does, you might want to to split the topic and categorize each part accordingly.

1 Like

An actual repo definitely sounds nice. Only concern is that the ability to edit HTML/Markdown files can be a barrier/friction to some :neutral_face:

We’ll see what other solutions exist out there! Ideally something that’s intuitive to edit, and we can still have editorial oversight.