Option to SHIFT+CLICK collapse children's bulletpoints only

I would really like something like this.

SHIFT+LEFT CLICK on a bulletpoint to collapse only the children’s bulletpoints

It would be really useful for me since when I take course notes.

I write a lot of notes then roll up that information into a top level bulletpoint summarizing all of its children bulletpoint

This way I could do the following, by simply SHIFT+LEFT CLICKING bulletpoints →

• See a short-sweet version of all my notes
  • See the fullblown view of all my notes

So if a topic is still new to me, I’ll look at the fullblown view of my notes.

if its well-tested information, I only look at the short-sweet version and occassionally the fullblown view of notes.

2 Likes

What about the Collapse All option in the “hamburger” menu?

You can kind of do this already with keyboard shortcuts, e.g. CMD + SHIFT + . to collapse all, then CMD + . to expand only the top level.

2 Likes

i use windows so cmd = ctrl

Both CTRL+ . and CTRL+ SHIFT + . close the entire list of items.

However

CTRL + . when opened, retains which items are collapsed / uncollapsed in the child bulletpoints

CTRL+ SHIFT + . when opened, forces all child / their child bulletpoints to expand

This feature request is not the same thing, and is a totally different application.

I want a parent list to collapse only its child’s list of items, not the parent list itself

It would behave similarly to CTRL+ . but apply to the top level child items, not parent list itself

I hope this makes sense

I’m not sure what you are saying… I have a Windows machine too so I tried this out there.

Start with all the children expanded. Do CTRL + SHIFT + . to collapse all children, and then CTRL + . to open the parent only. This will open the parent but leave the children collapsed.

You can probably use something like PhraseExpress to bind this to a single shortcut.

ah okay I see now

I didn’t realize you did both at the same time

This would work for now.

Although I still think dynalist should implement SHIFT + LEFT CLICK modifier to do this though.

CTRL + . is the equivalent of clicking a left click bulletpoint

CTRL+SHIFT+ . has no equivalent left click button + modifier (ctrl, shift, etc)

I do almost all my collapsing manually clicking on it though, I don’t think I’m going to adopt using shortcut keys for this unless I absolutely have too

EDIT

While CTRL+SHIFT + . works fine, it would be really nice if I had a script that didn’t collapse ALL my bulletpoints, but only the top level childs in that parent

Because if I have the following inforamtion:

✪ Courselist (parent)
✪✪ Course1 (10 pages worth of material)
✪✪ Course 2 (10 pages worth of material)

where each top level child bulletpoint (Course 1, Course 2) are extremely long to begin with many nested child structures underneath, I don’t want to collapse all of those. Rather, I just want to close out “course1” “course2” etc by shift+left click on “courselist”

EDIT

I found a basic workaround to this problem

If I apply rigid coloring rules to my notes - e.g. the table of contents, I could just do a search in dynalist like this:

color:purple

Then I only see notes, outlines, condensed summaries , expand items as needed, etc

EDIT EDIT EDIT

the good part about this it it doesn’t retain what things i collapsed or uncollapsed either, so my original doc is unchanged