Option to add Horizontal divider/line in notes?

It would be much helpful to format the document if we could add horizontal lines to divide the sections.

12 Likes

My personal workaround is to add an empty item with a color label.

I can see the usefulness of this, but it seems a little unnecessary to add a dedicated format for this.

Thereā€™s one thing though, Iā€™m guessing you want a horizontal line that extends the entire width of the document, while an empty item with color label doesnā€™t do that if itā€™s indented.

2 Likes

I would like this feature as well.

Iā€™ve also tried to use an empty colour label as a divider, but sometimes this gets me confused with other ā€œrealā€ highlighted items.

What I was imagining would be like what a regular MS Word document can do and also what Evernote can do. Perhaps even have a line of different thickness / pattern (~~~~ for example).

However, I can see how having a horizontal line could be disruptive to the outliner nature of this app, so I wouldnā€™t be surprised if this doesnā€™t get fully implemented.

Perhaps one could use the colour labels as a foundation, and create a label that is narrower and darker (grey to black). This would imitate the effect we are looking for!
(or maybe this is something that can easily be done with custom CSS?)

I have no problems with the line being indented etc. In fact this has to be true if we want the line to apply only in the chosen node!

**Edit: Oh I didnā€™t see that the post title specifies the divider being in ā€œnotesā€.
I was thinking of having it within the outline itself.

2 Likes

I want this!

1 Like

I would really like this too.

For others who would like this, you can use the Powerpack add-on which has the ability to convert an item which is ā€œā€”ā€ to a horizontal line.
I find it very useful for adding visual breaks to items that exist at the same level. Sometimes it isnā€™t appropriate to add levels to an outline but you still need to break it up for various reasons.

Itā€™s one of my most used Powerpack features. Itā€™s fine using Powerpack for now but thereā€™s always the chance that will break and it would be great to make this built-in.

2 Likes

I second this!

1 Like

If you have a system-wide text expansion program you can set a shortcut for something like (this is what I use):

ā•ā•ā•ā•ā•ā•ā•ā•ā•ā•
ļ¼æļ¼æļ¼æļ¼æļ¼æļ¼æļ¼æļ¼æļ¼æļ¼æļ¼æļ¼æ

Itā€™s universal; you can use it in any program that doesnā€™t natively support horizontal dividers.

3 Likes

I would also like a horizontal divider. I make use of this a ton in other software, because scrolling through several small notes is more efficient than switching between notes.

Using an empty bullet with a ā€œ-ā€ and a background color sort-of works, but itā€™s very ugly. I wish I could instead have a simple < hr > style divider with no bullet and some padding above and below

Just like

this
2 Likes