Mobile interface redesign & mobile-desktop functions parity

So out of boredom, I made a sketch [1] to propose some interface change on mobile [2] interface, mostly involves swiping up/down so two function can be fitted into a icon. For example, on the red-highlighted icon, swipe up to redo and swipe down to undo [3], same applies to functions like navigating between objects [4] or increasing/decreasing indent, except last 2 interface which is simply a click, for adding notes and deleting the object. Oh, and having undo/redo function besides keyboard could make stuff little easier to reach too.

The cogwheel icon on top left could contain more features which is only available in desktop like numbering children; adding options like “expand/collapse all” and “duplicate object” would be beneficial to have too. Also… Does mobile feature feature tag pane function like it does on desktop platform?

Apologizing for suggesting too much but just want to leave some ideas to optimize Dynalist for mobile platforms.

ALTERNATIVE REQUEST

Holding the node could show these options:

Some of the toolbar functions could be moved into “holding-node” options like: highlight colors, heading format, make checklist; also needs copy/duplicate node function.

While the rest of the toolbar could have some little change and rearrangements; and removing some options that already exists in mobile version like expand/collapse (individuals) and zoom in/out.

FOOTNOTE
1 - Its a sketch so expect low quality PNG.
2 - Also this could be applied to tablet interfaces.
3 - Undo/redo is moved from the interface top to toolbar instead.
4 - Also a new function for mobile platform, since navigating vertically between objects can be little difficult on a small screen.

4 Likes

This is a really fascinating subject. First off, I like the mobile client and use it every day. But I agree, it would be beneficial if it was more mobile friendly, giving us easier access to the functionality through touch.

Working with the toolbar to do indenting, unidenting, deleting feels very natural on the phone.

I am thankful the hardware keyboard has received some love from the developers, this has already made it much more useful for us.

Thanks for these interesting ideas. I will think about it.

Warm regards,
Chris

1 Like

Cool ideas.

One thing to note though: right now the toolbar contains all the item/node level actions, whereas the top bar contains all the global/document level actions like undo/redo and settings.

The proposal mixes these two, maybe for efficiency, which makes me a little uncomfortable. Ideally power users can place buttons wherever they’d like, but having them sensibly grouped by default is nice.

1 Like

The proposal mixes these two, maybe for efficiency, which makes me a little uncomfortable.

Oh, the proposal isn’t just about arrangement, it’s mainly about:

• Combining 2 actions into 1 icon in toolbar, like un-indent and indent & undo and redo
  • Toolbar for commonly used actions, usually node-level actions; the rest could simply go to the document settings (separated from global settings)
  • Having all editing options in mobile/tablet platforms like desktop platform; some features like shortcuts might only be desktop-exclusive

For the arrangement part, I personally think Dynalist team could handle that better than me, this is just a rough idea.

For the toolbar part, I’m not pretty sure myself should all node-level actions or commonly used action should be here since both could work either way but slightly different results.

Though, having undo/redo right besides the keyboard can make editing lot easier to reach while typing.

Ideally power users can place buttons wherever they’d like, but having them sensibly grouped by default is nice.

Actually, I like having the idea of having customizing UIs, even if it’s pro-only feature.

Yeah, we actually got that idea from a Japanese third party app :slight_smile:

I read this as Modest (Interface) Proposal and thought it was a pun on some interface to feed the child nodes to nodes higher in the heirachy listen im tired

1 Like

Oh, just no.

Though, on topic, I would at least love to have all, if not, most of functionality available on desktop on mobile/tablet version so I would be able to work on anywhere on the go. Also some little arrangement to improve efficiency and usability for the extra.

@rNin I agree. Desktop and mobile functionality parity are very important.

1 Like

Bumping this up.

Also need to add that if long-holding the node shows this:

It could have give most of major functionalities available on desktop to mobile interfaces; or at least, majority of node-level settings like: number children, highlight color, heading format and expand/collapse all could make mobile platform functionality whole lot better.

The cogwheel settings (as suggested in the image) can just be ignored; some of toolbar options could be moved to the “holding-the-node” options.

My two cents, I guess I’ll have to add this as 2nd choice for the main post.

That menu misses the one feature i want most: to be able to copy nodes. Also would like multi selection as a feature.

Sounds like a great addition, adding that to the main post.

out of curiosity what tool did you use to make the UX diagram

1 Like

Just some painting application (to be specific, MediBang Paint), then add a custom-made grid layer on top of white background later then proceed to drew over it on few other layers.

2 Likes

Dynalist mobile does need UI and usability improvements.
Great welcomed ideas around.
My pick:
Customization of toolbar buttons placement, also allowing to turn on/off the buttons.
On Dynalist mobile I use half of the available buttons, and some buttons that I do need are out of view, being necessary to swipe toolbar all the time.

2 Likes