Hidden Tags

My list is getting very cluttered with tags that I don’t generally want to see. The only reason they are there is to control which searches it shows up in. But Dynalist offers no way to deal with this. Even if I put the tag in the notes and I turn notes view off, Dynalist automatically shows me the note and highlights the tag I searched for.

Basically I am not searching for the tag itself, I am only searching for the item that contains the tag. I would be able to keep my list more cleaned up if I could either give my item a hidden tag, or at least have the option to keep notes closed even if they contain search terms.

5 Likes

I would love this feature. I often don’t want to see my tags except when I’m editing an item. I’d like to be able to toggle this option to show/hide tags. I think they should appear if you start editing an item though.

Is this feature on the roadmap, and is there a way to vote for it other then clicking on the heart icon? I’m new to Dynalist and don’t know how to vote for features.

My family members refused to even try Dynalist because when I demo’d it to them, my items were all cluttered with tags. It’s true you don’t need to use tags, but that is the most powerful feature and the reason I switched to Dynalist from other outlining programs. Please consider this feature. Or maybe there’s a way to do this already? Perhaps you can make the style the same as the background color but that seems like it would interfere with editing tags.

Thanks.

3 Likes

Not sure if I’m following, this is what I understand so far: you guys have a lot of tags in notes, and when you search they all pop up. Is that the problem…?

I think a more concrete solution to what I was describing here could be to somehow allow tags to be placed in a separate column. Still associated with a single item but visually separated and not part of the main item content. Seems like a tall order though… maybe there is a better way.

1 Like

You mean make the tag a hidden attribute? Like the item will show up if you search for “#mysterious_tag”, but it won’t show up as part of the content of that item to reduce visual clutter?

1 Like

Yes, that’s pretty much what I’m saying. It doesn’t have to totally hidden though. It could just be in a separate column or some sort of side bar.

But lately I’ve been thinking these little optimizations don’t matter too much… I’ll be building my own UI on top of the API anyway for the purposes of sorting.

1 Like

I, too, would really love to be able to make tags invisible, i.e. a hidden attribute. My boss wants a complex system of tagging to allow anyone to make the document the version they want to see — to see lots of different sets of bullets, depending on what you’re interested in and what you’re trying to do — and at present the only way to do this is with a whole lot of complicated tags, which looks visually messy.

Interesting use case, thanks for sharing!

One workaround comes to mind: if you have something like Stylish installed, maybe you can style tags to be somewhat lighter in color, so it’s not as annoying?

Hiding tags is a big decision to make, and it’s technically difficult too, as from the very beginning tags are designed to be part of the text.

Another workaround: put all tags in the note section, after the first line. The view option notes: hide or notes: first line will hide all those messy tags.

2 Likes

This would be great. Here is a perfect use case. I want to be able to tag sounds like a DJ. So I can search for genre Rock, tempo fast, energy high, etc.
I am also wanting to use it for my solo guitar singer cover shows. If I use more tags it will start to get pretty messy. Screenshot example attracted

I hid tags long ago. I think this is the Custom CSS:

.node-tag[href="#"] {
	display: none;
}

.ref .node-tag[href="#"] {
	display: block;
}

The other option is to put all tags in the note, and hide or first-line notes.

Whoops, I’d said that earlier. Sorry for the double.

darkening the tags is another option as well if anyone is interested. this is what i use with the dark theme:

/* darker tags */
.Node-openNote{ color: #383838; }
.ref .Node-openNote{ display: block; }
.node-tag[href="#"] { color: #383838; }
.ref .node-tag[href="#"] { display:block; }

I know this is old, but hey @Matt_Groth, and anyone searching for a solution for this sort of thing, you may wish to check out
Hidden Text Markup CSS
And/Or There was also some related work on this here

Cheers, Twohawks