File Manager Purpose and Features

Since Discourse doesn’t allow for subpoints (?), I’ve made a Dynalist about this feature instead.

4 Likes

Is there a way I can :thumbsup: this post? Using Dynalist to submit Dynalist feature request, great!

• List item
  • List item
    • List item

You can get subpoints like above by tweaking the indentation, but I love how you just went ahead and created a Dynalist document :smile:.

3 Likes

Oh, I see. Every time I kept hitting the tab key, the cursor would appear in another box instead. I’m too spoiled.

I realize that Dynalist could be the fastest way of making your personal website, if it’s just so you can help explain things, like a knowledge base or provide other sorts of useful information.

Yeah, it’s suitable for making documentations and such. One guy Dynalist-ified a rule book for a board game. He heavily used internal links to refer to terminologies so no traditional lookup in a paper rule book is needed. It was pretty awesome :star2: .

2 Likes

I was just about to make a feature request for a way to view all uploaded documents, but remembered that you posted this @JP1!

A cloud storage service + organiser + notes + links!! Dynalist sure is coming along veryyyy nicely @Erica and @Shida !!! Really excited to see the progress :slight_smile:

1 Like

For the latter three, those are what Dynalist already has, yes? It would just need a different cloud storage service.

1 Like

We wouldn’t want to complete with Dropbox/Google Drive though. The file manager is going to be a simple one. I hope we’re on the same page there! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Should have been more specific. I know Dynalist just links to the files:) I just mean being able to upload straight to Dynalist. The end user doesnt see where these files are stored :wink:

The useful feature is actually just being able to put all your documents as Dynalist documents themselves. And thanks to the integration with Google Drive etc, you can have your other files there.

Maybe in the future:)

Just to reiterate, I don’t think anyone is expecting huge marvels based around Dynalist or anything. But one can dream!

2 Likes

I think some deeper integration into Cloud Storage accounts for pro members would be nice. Then we could have pretty Dynalist links that essentially hotlink to our set cloud storage provider.

1 Like

Updated the post to include it. https://dynalist.io/d/k-tNI_zstMVXSmffe6qzV0ya#z=PCn9fgL-vA-GfFPKsXOEk3x4

2 Likes

Updated post to include importing files from links and options to upgrade storage.

2 Likes

Just a thought: if we simply upload the file to the user’s cloud storage for the user, we probably shouldn’t charge for it. Sorry if you’ve covered this and I missed it in your document.

1 Like

I was just thinking about that and only made it pro-exclusive so that way you wouldn’t have to compete with the cloud storage providers, if that makes sense or have to maintain your own storage solution. And the benefit of the integration is that you’d get pretty Dynalist links that would redirect to the cloud storage ones, even if that costs very little.

Not to screw over the user, but just so that way the free plan isn’t too free, although anyone is free to manage their own links and whatnot.

Edit: I think I get what you were saying. I didn’t mean that it should cost extra (I’ll have to revisit my document, because I’m sure I probably said it there, lol) but that it’d be pro-exclusive, just like the rest of the file manager would.

1 Like

That’s cool then. I was asking because I thought the file manager would be exclusive to Pro users, since only Pro users can upload files right now.

But then again, if someone used to have Pro and it expires, they should still be able to access and manage their files. So the file manager should be a free feature.

This whole thing would come pretty far in the future if it comes at all. Not saying it’s a bad idea, but file uploads are more like file attachments in Dynalist’s case. Think Evernote. I haven’t used it in years, but if I remember correctly, there’s no way to manage all your attachments either. It’s more of a handy convenience feature than a core feature, if that makes sense.

1 Like

I guess that explains why Evernote is tanking (kidding).

I see, that’s a good point.

I think having a search filter for is:picture or is:file might help, then. A way to lock a search result and then edit each item might be helpful as well.

Right, I can understand that, but the main issue with attachments in Dynalist is the possibility of losing (track of the links for) them and being unable to delete them.

The first implementation came out this week. http://blog.dynalist.io/2016-week-49-update/

1 Like

Just to add onto that, I forgot to write in the blog post that the upload manager is accessible via Main Menu - Upload manager.

1 Like

there should be a rule that says all posts & all content should be lists, dyna lists or any lists, no bias here, but

clean
& clear
& bolded

lists nonetheless

• a rule on the entire Web

with the exception of

1. videos
  2. google excel sheets

i don’t support this function since i have everything in onenote but im pretty sure none of it is actually useful

but i understand if some users want to be packrats in all the apps out there… i get it…

…
…

1 Like