Corporate outliners and the future of outliners

This is just a ramble.

Big Tech Corps don’t allow work or work data on 3rd party clouds - strictly Corp machines and Corp clouds only, or encrypted on the Corp device before sync.

I’m sure a ton of workers use Workflowy in their personal life, and are being driven crazy at work by security restrictions – so what do they use? Some offline app that saves to a local SVN/dropbox folder sync situation?

I wouldn’t be surprised if whichever of the Workflowy clones goes “corporate security approved mode” first gets their company acquired for the big bux by salesforce or whatever coz Jesse Patel is droppin the ball on this eventual paradigm shift where outliners are the new hotness and they get some buzzword rename like “deep journal” or “neural notebook” and we have OutlinerCon 2019 dwarf dreamforce

Pretty much everyone I show Workflowy/Dynalist to, who curiously watches how I use it, eventually gets infected with the bug, I wish the paradigm took off faster. You can stuff your every thought into higher and higher dimensions, makes 2d Visicalc Excel grandpa computers look boring, we’re entering the age of neural networks, ambient computation, and whatever rebranding nested lists get to make them cool, “the mindmaps of the 80s get a reboot - techcrunch” “are your notes stuck in 2 dimensions? - medium”

lol i had a few too many coffees maybe

5 Likes

coz Jesse Patel is droppin the ball on this eventual paradigm shift where outliners are the new hotness and they get some buzzword rename like “deep journal” or “neural notebook” and we have OutlinerCon 2019 dwarf dreamforce

Just curious. Where did he say so?

By that I just mean I’m frustrated how slow Workflowy develops. I mean they’re millionaires now without any marketing, and their userbase just keeps growing, so I’m sure they’re happy, but I believe Workflowy’s idea is so untapped. I look at people using Google Docs or Evernote and think ‘you poor innocent fools…one day youll see the light’ and maybe people will argue its preference but i want to argue it’s that the idea’s development is being neglected. I mean I hope dynalist is the one to hit the sweet spot but who knows, maybe a mindmap mode will go viral or something and ddos the servers, some leap in “cool” to seduce the unindoctrinated.

I mean I’m sure Workflowy has a vision but we’ve been asking for textual hyperlinking for years and I don’t see what their objection is, maybe they dont want to mess with steady success, but now clones are picking up the ball and delivering

Maybe because that’s the time to start using marketing and advertising? Even with Twitter… Even Google has its own advertising clips on Youtube and that’s hilarious as it gets because who needs to advertise Google?.. But here we are. Start with social media, that’s a great tool if you know how to use it properly. Even Twitter will be handy. For example, this site can help greatly with scheduled tweets and many other social media hidden features: https://promorepublic.com/en/twitter.php

This is how I feel about all you guys who don’t manage your calendar in dynalist :smiley: