Clip To Dynalist Chrome Extension

This is a port of Clip To WorkFlowy. I converted the link format to markdown. If anyone wants a url-in-the-note version, I can upload a special copy as an unlisted url in the Chrome Web Store.

Cheers!

PS: the “auto-go-to-Dynalist” feature requires Chrome’s “tabs” permission which will trigger the ominous “Read your browsing history” warning. The extension simply queries your existing tabs, looking for Dynalist. It records nothing, and I really, really have no desire to know your surfing habits :slight_smile:

Clip To Dynalist - Chrome Web Store (Markdown version)

Edit 2017/05/04

Here’s the Link-in-the-note version. This is a quick a dirty solution… basically a modified copy of the Markdown version above. It is “unlisted”; anyone with the url can install, but it won’t show up in a Web Store search.

At some point… someday, maybe… I’ll merge the two with this note clipper available as a 3rd keyboard shortcut. If you do run both, you’ll only need to define the “Toggle Last Tab” shortcut once.

Clip To Dynalist Note - Chrome Web Store (Link in the note version)

14 Likes

@rawbytz This works exactly as advertised. Thanks for making this port of the original Clip To Workflowy extension.

Cheers.

Agreed. Works for me as well. Much appreciated @rawbytz! I’d be interested in the url-in-the-note version too, if it materializes… :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks a lot and welcome, @rawbytz!

1 Like

Brilliant! Yes, I’d be interested in the URL in the note version. Thanks.

Question for @Mark_Gammon & @Kevin_Murray:

Is your use case in-the-note only OR will you use both formats?

Hey @rawbytz - I think my needs are probably met just fine by either, but having the option for both would be great for various uses.

Thanks again for your work on this!

@rawbytz

Thanks so much for this rawbytz!

I’d also love the option for a URL in note version like the workflowy variant too :slight_smile:

In the note only for me, thanks. I haven’t become so accustomed to markdown yet and I like to see the URL.

Rawbytz is it possible down the road to have “Chrome Extension Options” to add your own formatted text in the pasted strings?

I like to timestamp a lot of my weblink citations, out of pure habit, so I can instantly see when I visited the site (as websites change all the time). So I don’t also have to look at the bulletpoints creation date either.

I take a lot of inspiration for how-to-citate something based on how wikipedia does their citations

When I timestamp things, I generally use the “!” operator using a phraseexpress command “e#” , which produces

!(5/4/2017 08:50) this date

Reference to my phraseexpress command:

Personally, this is how I generally do my citations:

I intend to add some options and selected text to the ClipTo’s, so this is feasible. Right now my focus is elsewhere… tbh, I don’t know when… or if I’ll get to time-stamps.

I think you have a solution to this right now in Phrase Express. Why not just setup a macro that pastes the ClipTo string, sends Shft+Enter to get focus in the note, and then sends your time-stamp?

btw, the original post has been edited to include a link to the new “note” version.

3 Likes

Awesome. Thanks again @rawbytz

hm i didn’t think about this but yea i could

thanks @rawbytz :slight_smile:

Thanks @rawbytz. While you’re there, one useful feature of the Workflowy Clipper is that it will copy any selected text that paste that into the note. I find that quite useful for clipping text content and it’s one feature that seems missing in Dynalist. I know it’s not your extension, but I wonder if the code for that would be relatively simple.

1 Like

Chrome has some requirements to prevent cross-scripting exploits… good for you, bad for me. In this case, it means restructuring the extension. It’s not a huge deal, but what free time I have is dedicated to a bigger project right now. When that’s done the clippers are next. Sorry.

1 Like

Thanks for contributing @rawbytz :slight_smile:

Works great, thanks.

One wish: Could the extension be extended to support clipping of multiple selected Chrome tabs and copy/insert each ‘tab’ as a separate line?

Oooh, I really like that idea. I think it can be implemented relatively easily in the current structure. Multiple selected tabs is on the list, Wilhelm.

If you have Keyboard Maestro and Chrome and extension Copy URL + this recipe works to copy URL and Title, switch to DL (in tab#1), move to the top of the current list, PASTE, and move down to a new line.

NOTE: Copy URL + is customizable. I have mine set to use 9 to copy URL and TITLE.

TITLE URL TO DYNALIST

• Triggered by any of the following:
  • The exact case string ‘9j’ is typed (then deleted)
  • Will execute the following actions:
  • Select Google Chrome Tab ‘1’
  • Notify on failure.
  • Pause for .2 Seconds
  • Notify on failure.
  • Type the ⌘Home Keystroke
  • Type the Return Keystroke
  • Type the ⌘V Keystroke
  • Type the Return Keystroke
2 Likes

rawbytz i found another really good copy to URL extension for customization options

for multicopying several URLs

I might just use this since I don’t need the OPML formatting for note or move to dynalist tab now that I have a 3rd monitor (or possibly modify my own version too)

Of those two I would say “TABCOPY” is more powerful, as it gives 3 potential premade templates for you to copy from. Copy All URLs is only one format. TABCOPY also has easier to understand customization options

I could probably modify it if I wanted to do the getAll / search for open dynalist tabs / on-focus as well, but I don’t think I need it

I’m starting to incorporate more chrome shortcuts in my routine such as ALT+D to immediately get to the addressbar for faster searching / navigation

https://support.google.com/chrome/answer/157179?hl=en

Down the road I might adopt some chrome vimium style workflows so I can do things even faster

down the road I might consider going to invest in a 2ndary macro keyboard (but with less keys than one below). I already bound most of my CTRL+SHIFT+ALT modifier keys to my keyboard