Capture to inbox shortcut goes global on desktop app

That was the early bird price, which stopped at July 15, 2017 :slight_smile:

1 Like

What do you mean ā€œdoesnā€™t bring the input box to the frontā€? Screenshots would help.

If thatā€™s the case, the page for the pricing hasnā€™t been updated: https://dynalist.io/pricing

Please view with incognitoā€¦ how the price looks depends on your Dynalist account.

This is great!

Is there a way to make it so that after capturing, focus goes back to where I was rather than staying on Dynalist?

(Sorry - I have no idea if this is technically feasible.)

1 Like

Donā€™t think thatā€™s possible, Mark. Sorry!

I think Dynalist doesnā€™t have knowledge where the focus came from.

Correct me if Iā€™m wrong, @Shida.

1 Like

That makes sense to me, thanks!

It is quite a big shortcoming to lose focus when capturing to inbox from another app. Take a look at Nozbe which brings up a similar capture box that just floats above wherever you are. Evernote has the same approach with CTRL+CMD - N to write a quick note in the context where you are. This very much fits into the GTD/productivity concept of frictionless capturing distractions and thoughts occurring during the middle of a focus session. Really hope you can explore what options there are to solve?

Does the Nozbe floating capture box restores your cursor position in, say, Microsoft Word, after youā€™re done capturing?

It does indeed :slight_smile: and I even activated it while typing this: it then brought up little window, I entered thought, hit enter and then continued right on typing this message without a glich - Evernote not as slick - canā€™t continue typingā€¦ :(, but Nozbe nails it! My company has moved to Wrike, which is powerful, if a bit clunky, so canā€™t continue using Nozbe, but Dynalist still goto app for capturing ideas and fleshing them out, or running a long list ala Autofocus

I finally got to try it. It took me a while to find a non-Win 10 installerā€¦

This is the result I got. Doesnā€™t seem to restore the cursor positionā€¦

bandicam 2017-11-07 01-12-57-541.avi (166.0 KB)

I took me a while to confirm Nozbe has this functionality too. The official help page didnā€™t mention Quick Add either: https://help.nozbe.com/l/en/article/mXCA6dQ53N-inbox

Itā€™s hidden away in the settings and itā€™s turned off by defaultā€¦ I wonder why :confused:ā€¦ Did it cause trouble for them?

I have this same issue, the shortcut does not bring Dynalist to the front. Hereā€™s a video I recorded:
CloudApp

Note that while I was looking at this page, I pressed the shortcut. Nothing happened. Only when I actually clicked onto the Dynalist desktop app did I see the inbox entry.

The way I would expect the inbox entry to work is like how Omnifocus does it. A floating box pops up, you type in there, hit enter, then go back to what you were doing. Hereā€™s a vid of the way Omnifocus does it:
CloudApp

Version of your desktop app? Is it newer than v1.0.40 as mentioned in the OP?

I understand the need, that would be a separate feature request though.

Sorry if I wasnā€™t being clear ā€“ this announcement is about the shortcut going global. Basically the shortcut used to only invocable when youā€™re in the app, and now the shorcut is invocable wherever you are. The floating thing by Omnifocus is a separate widget/window that we need to make, which is out of the scope of this update. You can go ahead and make a feature request if youā€™d like though.

I hope thatā€™s understandable.

Iā€™m not sure what version it isā€¦ Iā€™m on Mac OS and normally Iā€™d expect to see ā€œAbout [appname]ā€ in the main menu dropdown but I donā€™t see it for Dynalist. Looked in settings and I couldnā€™t find it there either. How do I check?

I downloaded the app within the past week and I DLā€™ed it from your site so I assume I have the most up to date version.

Itā€™s OK, I understand if the ā€œomnifocus styleā€ floaty box thingy is outside the scope of this update, but I am right in thinking that the Dynalist app is supposed to come to the front when I hit the shortcut from another app right?

P.S. I just retried it just now it seems to work now. Iā€™ll let you know if the bug comes back, Iā€™m normally a pretty big user of the ā€œclip to inboxā€ functionality so Iā€™ll try and use this regularly and let you know if there are further issues.

You can do that by choosing the ā€œAboutā€ option in the main menu (menu icon at the top right corner).

Sorry thatā€™s not the case for Dynalist for some technical reason. Youā€™d need to restart the app at least once to get the latest version :grimacing:

It could be because youā€™ve restarted the app since the last time the issue occurred, which probably means it wonā€™t happen again :slight_smile:

The desktop app has to be running in order for the global shortcut to work, yes?

Sorry for the late reply.

Yes, it needs to run, otherwise it canā€™t listen for the shortcut.

My capture to inbox works, but it switches focus to Dynalist and doesnā€™t send me back to the app I was previously focused on. What I would have expected would be:

1. On Slack
  2. Press CTRL+Shift+I
  3. See the inbox capture appear on top of Slack
  4. Dismiss inbox capture window
  5. Continue using Slack

IRL #3 switches my focus over to Dynalist and forces me to reset my focus back to Slack.