Android App: Bullet text not next to bullet (non-default sys font setting)

Steps to reproduce

No steps need. The text for the bullets is not next to the bullet, but on the line below it.

Expected result

What do you expect to see after carrying out the steps above?
Bullet text not next to text

Actual result

Instead of the expected result, what happened?

Bullet text is below bullet

Environment

Which operating system are you using? Which browser are you using? If you’re using a desktop or mobile app, what’s the version number of Dynalist?

On a Samsung Galaxy S6, running Android 6.0.1

Additional information

Anything else you think would help our investigation, like a screenshot or a log file? You can drag and drop screenshots to this box. For large amount of text, try putting them into something like Pastebin.

Additional comments

Sounds familiar. Is this in the web version or in the Android app?

In the Android app I have a similar issue but it seems to be caused by my system font settings. Do you have your phone’s font set to large by any chance?

It’s the Android app. Android system font size set to “Medium”

Can you test setting the system font size to Default, if that solves the problem?

Default didn’t work, but small size did. Unfortunately that “solution” creates text too small system wide for some of us. So it’s really not a solution.

Also with the text under the bullet, the thing is thereally is lots of white space, so there’s no reason it shouldnt be sticking text under the bullet. Sure wish I could include a screenshot!

It was just meant as a test, not a solution, @Mark_VanOuse :slight_smile: No worries.

To take a screenshot on your phone, usually it is: hold down the power button + volume up at the same time.

But yes, this is a confirmed bug with the Android app.

FYI, there is one big mega-thread for Android (beta) app bugs over here.

@Erica @Shida repeat & confirm of the problem with non-default system font size settings for the Android app

Hi @Mark_VanOuse, yes, I was able to replicate this problem with any system font that’s medium or larger. This is a big tricky to debug but we’ll investigate this problem soon!

Yes, I know how to do a screenshot on my phone and elsewhere. I do not see how to post the screenshot to a post in this forum.

No problem. More of a minor inconvenience… just wanted to make sure it was on your radar! Keep up the good work!

On the web version of the forum you can upload an image by clicking this icon:

1 Like

Thanks!

More insight into this bug: The text is aligned fine with it’s bullet if there is now child bullets.

As soon as you create a child bullet, the parent’s text is not aligned on the same line as its bullet, but the line below.

This wastes a lot of screen space on a portable device.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S8+.State of the art
DL Android app version: 1.0.16

When I first reported this bug, I was using a Samsung Galaxy S6 on Android 6.01 … so I’ve now tested on Nougat with a new device and the problem still exists.

Here’s a link to a screen shot demonstrating this problem:

BIG fan of Dynalist… thanks for all you do! I hope this latest info helps.

More insight into this bug: The text is aligned fine with it’s bullet if there is now child bullets.

As soon as you create a child bullet, the parent’s text is not aligned on the same line as its bullet, but the line below.

This wastes a lot of screen space on a portable device.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S8+.State of the art
DL Android app version: 1.0.16

When I first reported this bug, I was using a Samsung Galaxy S6 on Android 6.01 … so I’ve now tested on Nougat with a new device and the problem still exists.

BIG fan of Dynalist… thanks for all you do! I hope this latest info helps.

Here’s a screenshot demonstrating this problem:

Thanks a lot for the additional info.

This sounds a lot like a bug we’ve fixed, maybe it’s not properly released to the Android app, or something else might’ve gone wrong. We’ll investigate. Regardless, thanks a lot for taking the time to update us!

Thank you! Hopefully it turns out to be something simple on your end!

Hello:

I still have this same issue in my new Samsung S7 with Android 7.0.

However, I do NOT experience this issue on my Samsung S4, with Android 5.0.1

Eddie.

:slight_smile: UPDATE (15 minutes later) - I was able to ‘eliminate’ the problem by setting the system font size at ‘small’ (screen zoom at ‘medium’) - With those settings, I can still choose any of the 3 font sizes within the Dynalist Android app without ‘bringing back’ the issue.

Interesting. Thanks Eddie I’ll give that a shot as a temporary workaround

Yes, that’s the workaround, but still imperfect since we want you to be able to keep the Medium or larger font setting.

Eddie and Erica, I confirm what Eddie found by changing the following on the Samsung Galaxy S8 Plus, running Android Nougat 7.0:

Font size down one notch below Medium
Screen Zoom moved from Small to Medium.

Parent bullet lines no longer separated
by an extra line from their bullet

Glad to get some screen real estate back!

See the attached is the “after” screenshot

Mark

1 Like

I agree, Erica!

1 Like

Looks like your latest update fixed the problem. Hooray! Thanks for doing this. Also, under Android Nougat’s System Zoom and Font Size, screen Zoom works, without disrupting Dynalist’ padding between the bullet and it’s text. However, changes in system font size are not showing up in DL.

Thanks Dynalist team!
Mark