"Allow others to access..." attachment file-level

Right now attachment access is an all or nothing setting: either allow others access to all files…or not at all.

I wouldn’t mind having that setting and the option on the file level to share it.

Hi Ruud,

Some questions (not necessarily answerable by you). I’m wondering if this request is best served with an integrated third party solution?

• Would it be better for end users (that you want to share attachments with) to have Dropbox access or Google Drive access for security reasons?

• Would files be encrypted in transit and at rest?

• Would file level security on Dynalist need to be upgraded or changed?

• What would be the best user experience for shared attachments (directly through Dynalist or third party)?

Very good questions.

My “real” attachments I keep in Google Drive. There is no way to easily export attachments at the moment so this way I have everything at hand. My workflow in that regard is described here

I might just set my DL permissions to be viewed by all. This way I can easily share the attachments, my primary reason to ask for File Level permissions.

In the end, layering the file manager on top of Dropbox and/or Google Drive might be the better way to go. The whole file sharing, uploading, and management may add just too much of an extra development load.

Advantage of doing it in-house might be that backups for Pro could have the attachments included, in certain scenarios.

ps: whenever I need to share an online document, I do so using Google’s Document viewer.

E.g.:

https://docs.google.com/viewerng/viewer?url=https://dynalist.io/u/AyeazoZhiTWejGDUKD0-SMrb/dynalist.pdf

Just realized that as the permission in Settings is for new uploads only, it is currently already possible to “toggle” the permissions. E.g.: for this file I toggled the permission to on, then toggled it back off for new files.

[quote=“ruud, post:3, topic:487, full:true”]
In the end, layering the file manager on top of Dropbox and/or Google Drive might be the better way to go. The whole file sharing, uploading, and management may add just too much of an extra development load. [/quote]

These are my thoughts/concerns also. Why reinvent the wheel and spend precious development time on it?

Cloud security is getting scrutinized again with the Cloudflair fiasco and may deter advanced development with files in Dynalist.

Another non-security related problem is that file uploads in Dynalist is not attached to any node. We know we describe file upload as “file attachment”, and we apologize for the misunderstanding…

Therefore all your uploads are yours, making it impossible to distinguish which uploads belong to which document, unless we make changes to the current system.