Add spell-checking support for desktop apps

Actually, this is a better solution and mentions some of the bugs associated with Electron’s spell check API (which you linked above).

Also can be fairly simple to add - depending on your codebase, of course.

@Patrick_Black @Matt2 we’ll take a look, thanks!

1 Like

Many thanks Erica, please let us know!!

@Juan_Noriega: working on this, don’t worry :wink:

Just to update everyone on this (the following is a bit technical) - the official electron-spellchecker has been un-maintained for over a year and no longer works. Most of the other ones derive from electron-spellchecker, such as mixmaxhq/electron-spell-check-provider.

The good news is that we’ve been able to implement almost everything from scratch based on electron-spellchecker’s code along with a lot of help from stackoverflow and electron’s official documentation.

We have everything working already, and we’re on our way to figure out how to deploy it to everybody.

Thanks to everybody for your patience! It will be rewarded very soon!

3 Likes

Thanks for adding spell checking to Desktop Apps last week (set keyboard shortcut to toggle on/off). :+1:

2 Likes

Will it be difficult to implement other languages?

You can change the language in 1.1.14+ now. Only one language can be checked at a time though.

So relieved to see this come through. As some others have stated, the desktop app was “functionless” for me without a spell check, and it’s been a pleasure to use it since this was added. One question:

I accidentally added a mispelled word to the dictionary and wanted to remove it, but it doesn’t seem to be the Mac default dictionary…so it’s somewhere else? Any suggestions on where this is stored?

@Shida: this happened – any ideas?

I believe the file you want to look at is located at

~/Library/Spelling/LocalDictionary

Not sure if it’s a hidden folder though. I don’t have an easily accessible mac right now to check.

@Evan: could you check the method above? Thanks! :slight_smile:

It looks like Mac’s dictionary is the “LocalDictionary” file in that hidden folder, but not the one we want.

There is another doc called “en” which ended up having the word that I had misspelled. So it looks like that document is the one associated with Dynalist’s dictionary.

Issue solved, I think!!

37%20PM

1 Like

Thanks for the update! Happy to see it’s solved and the misspelled word is gone for good!

this may be old news on spellcheck for windows laptop on dynalist. I also suffered from this. My workaround was to select misspelled word and right click it. It works for me. YMMV

@Shida Is that any way to make spell check work for few languages?

I’m not a native English speaker. So I use 2-3 languages. Manually go to settings each time just make it unusable for multiple languages.
(That a lot of people that non English native but do work in it)

It that any way to set proper language spellcheck like it works in chrome/Firefox?

Or this is temporary fix before Electron will resolve issue here: Multi language spell checking
?

I’m not sure what the electron team is up to but that issue I reported still hasn’t been fixed - In the meantime, it might actually be possible for me to hack together multi-language support to our temporary spellchecker. I’ll keep you updated on this.

1 Like

Seems like there’s finally some attention to the issue given that a lot of people is now running into it. There was an attempted fix by the electron team but several reported that it wasn’t yet solved. I’m guessing it should be resolved really soon.

@Shida There also another issues with implementation.
Current spellcheck doesn’t not preserve letter register.
Screenshot from 2020-10-04 17-21-15

For example I have capitalized word but spellcheck makes it all lowercase